Thursday, August 22, 2013

You is kind, you is smart, you is important

One of the famous, and my personal favorite,
lines in The Help does not occur in a single scene,
but presents itself throughout the movie.
 
I love hearing Aibileen instill self worth in Mae Mobley
again and again through the familiar,
"You is kind, you is smart, you is important."
 
 
This is what I want my baby boy to grow up hearing,
because this is what I want him to believe.
This is what I want him to know.
 
Have you seen the horrific letter written to the parents of the child with autism that has gone viral this week?
I can't post it here.
In fact, I haven't even made it through the entire letter.
About 15 words in, I had to stop.
I just can't stomach it. 
It physically hurts me to know that is what is waiting in the world.
If you want to read it, you can see it here.
Or, if your heart is especially tender like mine, don't read it.
 
One day, Baker will look into the mirror
(and not just kiss it and giggle because he sees a darling baby boy),
but he will really look into it and see himself.
I want him to see a person who is capable, who is believed in, who is supported, who is loved, who is respected.
I want him to see a boy who can dream any dream, wish any wish.
I want him to see his abilities, never his disability.
 
I want Baker to grow up hearing, "You is kind, you is smart, you is important."
 
While the world assigns different names to individuals with special needs,
words that are hurtful, words that are derogatory, words that contradict self worth,
I want Baker to hear the words of my mouth, the words my actions speak in volumes, and the words I speak through my heart. I want those words to tell him over and over and over you is kind, you is smart, you is important.
 

 
Baby Boy, you is kind, you is smart, you is important.

No comments:

Post a Comment