Sunday, December 22, 2013

On the tenth day of Christmas

As I hoped, and as I so diligently prayed, Baker is home from the hospital.

My baby boy is asleep in his bed.
He is clothed in his pajamas.
He took a bath in his bathtub, with his soap, where he played with his toys.
He sat in his high chair, where he ate his supper.

As I type, I am mesmerized by the glow of the lights shining brightly on the tree.
I am momentarily distracted by the Christmas flick dancing on the television screen.
There are presents peppering the floor beneath my feet.
The room smells of pine needles and joy and all things merry and bright.

There are no tubes.
There are no monitors.
There is no beeping.

There is just family.

For that, I am extremely grateful.

 
Brian turned Baker's hospital bed into an awesome fort.
Leave it to my fabulous husband to transform a yucky hospital stay into an adventure.
Baker was no longer a patient in a hospital, he was with Max stomping alongside the Wild Things.


On our last night, the nurses let us dress Baker in real pajamas.
We ordered pancakes and French toast, smothered in way too much syrup.
We watched The Santa Claus and snuggled in Baker's baby bed.


 
The next morning, we escaped!
Shh! Don't tell!

 
I learned a lot during those four days in Room 323.
 
As I rocked Baker in that wooden rocking chair tangled amidst oxygen tubes and IV cords, I whispered the familiar words,
 
"Long lay the world, in sin and error pining
'Til He appeared, and the soul felt its worth
A thrill of hope, a weary world rejoices
For yonder breaks a new and glorious morn
Fall on your knees..."

I cannot sing those lyrics without crying all the tears.
I have tried to make Christmas about gifts and clothes and glitter and lights.

But it's something much more simple.

The author of this beautiful song nailed it.

Christmas is about hope for a broken world yearning for a Savior.
Long lay the world, in sin and error pining

A baby born in a lowly manger brought light where darkness permeated .
'Til He appeared, and the soul felt its worth

Joy to the world, the Lord is come, let earth receive her King.
A thrill of hope, a weary world rejoices

He is here. He is glory. He is light. He saves. He makes all things new.
For yonder breaks a new and glorious morn

He is worthy all praise and honor. Lord, I lift your name on high.
Fall on your knees

Oh Holy Night, indeed.

2 comments:

  1. So glad Baker is doing better and home for Christmas! Praise the Great Physician!

    ReplyDelete