Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Humbly Grateful - Part Two

Our pastor challenged us to start each day giving thanks.
I began the challenge here.
If you haven't read Part One, start there.
Pretty please with sugar on top!
 
Brian and I have very busy days.
Wonderful days, but very busy days.
One thing we try to do each night before going to sleep is to read Jesus Calling together, find the scriptures, meditate on them, and then pray together.

I loved the devotion on July 5, and think it speaks perfectly to this attitude of giving thanks.

"Draw near to me with a thankful heart, aware that your cup is overflowing with blessings. Gratitude enables you to perceive Me more clearly and to rejoice in our Love relationship. Nothing can separate you from My loving Presence! That is the basis of your security. Whenever you start to feel anxious, remind yourself that your security rests in Me alone, and I am totally trustworthy..."

I had a lot of time to meditate on this throughout the night last night. And found that I am thankful even for wakeful nights with little rest. Time to spend with Jesus. Time to savor with my little one. Just time. Something I often forsake in the hustle of everyday.

On this Tuesday, I am especially thankful.

1. Church family. From my small group Bible Study and Bunco group, to my pastors and worship leaders, to the brothers and sisters in Christ that join throughout the week to praise our Savior. This group epitomizes the Bible's calling for Christians to be the hands and feet of Jesus. We pray together, serve together, love together, laugh together, hurt together. Thank you Jesus for this precious family.

2. Down Syndrome. Eighteen months ago, there were no two words that scared me more. I feared the unknown. What would this mean for our family? For our dreams? For our hopes for the future? And then, with Baker's diagnosis, the fears and worries began to fade, as God once again evidenced His faithfulness and His plan for our lives. I am thankful for Down Syndrome. I am thankful for the friends that we gain through this journey. I am thankful that I get to see prayers answered every single day. I am thankful for the Lord opening my eyes to His ways and His truths and His path for Baker, for our family. God is good, all the time. And all the time, God is good. Can I get an AMEN?

3. Transitions. Oh how scary transitions are. We are smack dab, ankle knee hip shoulder deep in a transition, and have never been more unsettled or uncomfortable. But, I find it amazing, that sometimes in the most unsettling and uncomfortable situations are when God provides the most comfort. I am thankful that God pulls us out of our comfort zones, and provides a new stability - in Him. I have also found, when God provides the opportunity for a transition, He orchestrates the path, guides every step, holds our hands, and carries us throughout.

4. Summertime. This time of year is so sweet. Laughter of children echoes throughout the neighborhood late into the night, crickets chirping, fireflies darting this way and that trying to avoid the fate of the Mason jar, watermelons, afternoon thunderstorms, blueberries straight off the bush, squash that travels from the yard to the table, freckles, tan lines, lemonade and sweet tea, lazy days off celebrating family, the smell of fresh cut grass. I am thankful for this beautiful season where God makes all things new.

It's amazing how this attitude of thankfulness trickles about, permeating my thoughts. Interrupting negativity. Ceasing bitterness. I kinda like it.

What are you thankful for today?
A person who has blessed your life?
A season?
A difficulty God has used for His glory and your growth?
 
"Enter His gates with thanksgiving
and His courts with praise;
give thanks to Him and praise His name.
For the Lord is good and his love endures forever;
His faithfulness continues through all generations."
Psalms 100:4-5

1 comment:

  1. I found myself excited to read part two. :)
    You have not only encouraged me but also challenged me. Thank you for blessing others through your words. Keep shining for Him.

    Hope

    ReplyDelete