Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Jesus Calling - Worry, Worry, Worry


I love Kevin Henkes.
You have likely heard of his bestseller, Chrysanthemum.
He writes children's books and is very good at what he does.
 
Each of his books has a central theme that is great for incorporating into daily lessons with children.
 
Of his characters, I wish I could say I identify most with Chrysanthemum or Lilly, or even Penny, but unfortunately, it's Wemberly.
 
If you aren't familiar with Wemberly, she stars in the book,
Wemberly Worried.
And the repetitive line appearing throughout the book,
"worry, worry, worry, too much worry"
is me.
 
Admittedly, ashamedly, me.
 
In most things, but especially with Baker, I worry.
 
Worry that I am not being the mother he needs,
or what the future will hold,
or that he is suffering because I am a working mom,
if it's not this, it's that.
But I have one worry that overshadows the rest.
 
I have this fear.
A huge fear.
Like an all-consuming fear that overtakes my whole body.
 
It hurts.
It wakes me up in the middle of night.
It draws tears, sometimes incessant tears.
It brings me to my knees.

Worry, worry, worry, too much worry.

My sweet Baker Boy is healthy.
I know that.
He's had blood work, and ultrasounds, and brain scans, and heart checks.
His therapists do surveys and evaluations and analyses.
All reports confirm his health.
This gives me tremendous peace.

But then I read a statistic, or I remember something I once heard, or someone else shares their story.

Children with Downs are more likely to have leukemia, and cardiology problems, and severe thyroid issues, and this, and that.
The list goes on and on and on.
And the fear spreads.
What if?
What if the doctors are missing something.

Worry, worry, worry, too much worry.

Because of these trends, I dread simple doctors visits.
What if this finger prick reveals something terrible?
What if the doctor placing the cold metal of the stethoscope on his chest evidences a heart murmur?

Worry, worry, worry, too much worry.

The Lord did not create in us a spirit of fear, so I know it is not of Him.

I absolutely love Jesus Calling.
And my love for this devotional absolutely grew as the first few entries for February have spoken just to this fear.
 

I love how Jesus provides just the right words, from His Word, at just the right time.

Great is thy faithfulness.

"Look to The Lord and His strength; seek His face always."
Psalms 105:4

"The Lord bless you and keep you;
The Lord make His face shine upon you 
and be gracious to you;
The Lord turn His face toward you and give you peace."
Numbers 6:24-6
 
"God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in time of trouble.
Therefore, we will not fear..."
Psalms 46:1-2

Worry, worry, worry, too much worry,
no more.

Tonight, I am praying for the mamas and babies whose finger pricks have revealed something devastating.
I feel honored to pray on their behalf.

Tonight, I am praying that God remove this fear in me, and allow me instead to celebrate the blessings of health and trust in Him and His plan for our future.

"'For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the Lord.
'Plans to prosper you, not to harm you,
plans to give you a future and a hope.'"
Jeremiah 29:11

Tonight, I am thankful for a God who serves as Hope Giver, Peace Provider, Healer, Great Physician, Strength Supplier, Comfort.

Because, in sickness and in health,
in abilities and disabilities,
He is God.
And I will praise His name.

2 comments:

  1. pray that God keeps protecting you from worry, Jenn!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. meaning, "I am praying" that God keeps protecting you from worry. Right as I hit send I realized my shorthand came off as totally preaching to the choir!

      Delete