Thursday, September 12, 2013

Jesus Calling - In the Stillness


My To Do List is one of my most prized possessions.
Although, I rarely accomplish in a single day what I set out to accomplish.
I always seem to drag one, or two, or three items to the next day, willing more time, more energy, more hands, more ears, more eyes to get them done.

Important tasks get pushed to the backburner.
I neglect things.
I fail to adhere to a weekly cleaning schedule, workout schedule, fill in the blank schedule.
I am a hot mess.
Some days I celebrate cooked meals (and I use the term cooked very loosely), other days my backseat is littered with bags tattling of a day spent running this way and that, stopping only to refuel.
There is dirty laundry on the floor and dishes in the sink.
Between school and work and appointments and play dates, we are always on the go.
 
 To be quite honest, I love it this way.
I like crazy, the hustle and bustle of busy days.
I like going, doing, accomplishing.
Being around people.
Checking things off.
Being independent, a go-getter, a doer.
Living big. Living busy.

What I struggle with, is sitting down all by myself and being quiet. 

When I crash, I crash hard.
I go, and go, and go until I stop.
Until I have nothing left to give and exhaustion overtakes my body.
 
 I often do good things.
Things that would please the Lord.
Things I dub “His handiwork.”
Things he has gifted me to do.

So, imagine my confusion when I read today’s Jesus Calling.

Receive my peace. It is my continual gift to you. The best way to receive this gift is to sit quietly in my presence, trusting me in every area of your life. Quietness and trust accomplish far more than you can imagine: not only in you, but also in heaven and earth.

When you trust Me in a given area, you release that problem or person into my care.

Spending time alone with Me can be a difficult discipline, because it goes against the activity addiction of this age. You may appear to be doing nothing, but actually you are participating in battles going on in the spiritual realms. You are waging war – not with the weapons of the world, but with heavenly weapons, which have divine power to demolish strongholds. Living close to Me is a sure defense against evil.

'"Peace I leave with you, my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.” John 14:27
 
"This is what the Sovereign Lord, the Holy One of Israel says, 'In repentance and rest is your salvation, in quietness and trust is your strength, but you would have none of it.'" Isaiah 30:15
 

Hello, my name is Jennifer, and I am an addict.
An activity addict.


Lord Jesus, create in me a clean heart.
One that thirsts for you,
for stillness in your presence,
for peace and quiet to commune with you.
Draw near to me, delight yourself with my praise.
Inhabit my thoughts, my time.
 In You, I rejoice.
In You alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment