Thursday, August 7, 2014

Down Syndrome, for what?

I've traded my summer reading of "Where'd You Go, Bernadette," and sunscreen labels, and "Must Make Recipes of Summer" and "How to Survive the Beach with a Toddler in Tow" in exchange for professional development materials. But I'm still clutching this Word like my entire life depends on it.
And it does.
Today my reading was not new. It was very familiar. But I read it with new eyes. I read it with a renewed spirit. I read it with hope.

"As he went along, he saw a man blind from birth. His disciples asked him, "Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, that he was born blind?"

"Neither this man nor his parents sinned, said Jesus, "but this happened so that the works of God might be displayed in him."

John 9:1-3

I sometimes change the words. I don't think He minds. I change a few names, conditions, and even the tenses. But the last part always remains. Baker was born with Down Syndrome "so that the works of God might be displayed in him."


this


and this




and this, too





"so that the works of God might be displayed in him.

And they are. Every single day.

Through his dancing, his winking, his finger pulling, his joy so infectious, his laugh so contagious. His whole body points to the greatness and faithfulness of my Jesus.

What did God make so uniquely you to display his greatness? What doors has He closed and which others has He propelled you through to evidence His goodness.

Is it your job? Your relationship status? Your different ability? Your career? Your gains? Your losses? Your talents? Your gifts? Your hurts? Your fears? Your parenting style? Your voice?

Whatever you are, wherever you are, be you "so the works of God might be displayed in you." 


No comments:

Post a Comment