Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Baker's Big Boy Room - Oh, the Places You'll Go



My little boy in a big room.

 
 
When we found out our family was growing by two feet (get it?), we began planning for our new baby to get all of Baker’s nursery furniture and for Baker to get a big boy room.

I never knew how difficult it would be to plan for my baby to transition to a big boy room.

I began pinning all the things.
 
I originally thought we would do a baseball theme, but Baker cares nothing about baseball, at least not any more than throwing every single little thing in sight. Then I thought we could do a rustic theme, with deer heads and faux fur (insert Tim Taylor grunt), but I never really liked dead animal parts on my wall. In addition, neither of those spoke of Baker, of his character, of his interests.

I walked into Hobby Lobby one afternoon for inspiration and found a cutout of the United States of America. The wheels started turning.
 
 
 
From the time we learned of Baker’s diagnosis, we prayed specifically for his future. As an expectant mother, I remember crying as I read the Dr. Seuss book, Oh the Places You’ll Go, over my growing belly. I cried, not because I was sad, or thought Baker wouldn’t go places. I read it and cried because I was inspired. I knew, that regardless of limited capabilities, my boy would be limitless.


                       “You have brains in your head.
                         You have feet in your shoes.
                         You can steer yourself any direction you choose.
                         You're on your own. And you know what you know.
                         And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go...”




The inspiration continued. I walked through that store adding things to my cart that spoke of Baker’s potential. That attested to his character.
 
                      “And will you succeed?
                       Yes! You will, indeed!
                       (98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)

                       KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!

                       So...
                       be your name Buxbaum or Bixby or Bray
                       or Mordecai Ali Van Allen O'Shea,
                       you're off to Great Places!
                       Today is your day!
                      Your mountain is waiting.
                      So...get on your way!”



I love that part the most…Kid, you’ll move mountains.

As I sat in Baker’s room last night (thank you, pregnancy insomnia) and watched my angel sleep, I thought about all the mountains Baker has moved.

All the lives he has touched.

All the hearts he has inspired.

All prayers we have seen answered in his life.

Kid, you’ve moved mountains.

 
 

 

 
 

 Oh, the places my Baker Boy is sure to go!

1 comment: