Saturday, May 3, 2014

Differently-Abled Toddler Gift Guide

In honor of Baker's second birthday,
I have compiled a gift guide for differently-abled toddlers.

 
 
Buying for a child with a disability is very similar, if not just like, buying for a child without a disability.
 
Just like most (almost) two year olds,  Baker is wild and silly.
He likes getting dirty, wants to play with anything loud, and loves having fun!
 
To ensure he is progressing and advancing in all areas of development,
I try to make sure his play is purposeful.
 When I consider a toy, I ask these five questions.
 
1. Does the toy promote speech/language, fine or gross motor, cognitive, and/or sensory development?
2. Does the toy encourage exploration?
3. Does the toy engage his imagination?
4. Does the toy encourage active engagement (versus passive)?
5. Is it fun? (scientific, I know)
If it isn't fun, none of the others matter.
 
 
Here are some of my favorite toys for differently-abled children.
 

Kitchen Play Set
 
 
 
Baby Alive
 
 
 
Toddler Toilet Seat
 
 
Catch me Kitty
 
 
 
Water Table
 


 
Toddler Tablet
Vtech Toddler Tablet
Y Bike
 
Leap Frog Poppin' Play Piano
 
 
 
Get Ready for School Elmo
 
 
Farmer's Market Color Sorting Set
 
 
Mickey Mouse Doctor Play Set
 
Toddler Table and Chairs Set
 
 
FAO Schwarz Big Piano
 
Kidibeats Drum Set
 
VTech KidiBeats Drum Set
 
See and Say
 

 
 
 Interactive Books
 


Zoo/Aquarium/Museum Pass

Melissa and Doug Train Puzzle


Take Apart Dump Truck

 
 Mr. Potato Head

 
 
Happy (almost) birthday to my favorite (almost) two year old!
 
Watching my sweet boy play,
watching him explore,
watching his imagination,
watching him learn -
it's one of the greatest joys in my life.
 
Pictures were downloaded from Amazon, Wal Mart, Target, or Toys R Us.

Happy Shopping!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment