Sunday, November 17, 2013

Fall fell

I have a thing for alliterations.
It's a serious weakness, really.
 
Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers
and
Sister Sally sells seashells by the seashore,
I can get lost in those!
 
If I were to look back at previous blog posts, I'm afraid I would find there are as many with alliterations in their titles as ones without.
 
I love them so much, I even married a man with the same first and last initial and then up and named my child Baker Bell.
 
And here I go again.
 
This past week I was walking down the hallway at work, and I noticed the trees immediately outside the school doors were losing their leaves rapidly.
The leaves that painted a portrait evidencing the artistic handiwork of His hands.
There are reds, and deep reds, and goldens, and rich goldenrod, and browns, and chocolates, and lattes, and oranges, and so many colors in between, even Crayola himself couldn't combine them so perfectly to put them in a box for us to feebly attempt to recreate.
I noticed they were decreasing in number, because I have noticed their abundance each day.
And as I noticed, I uttered a prayer of thanksgiving, or a song of praise thanking the Lord for creating beauty in our midst.
Our world is full of His love, even the leaves on the trees, proclaim the beauty of the Lord.
 
Sometimes Fall passes so quickly I fail to even take notice.
I busy myself in the details of life and somehow, it slips by.
The vibrant colors, the fallen leaves, the warm coffee, the smells, and the sights, and the sounds.
I simply fail to see them.
But not this year.
This year, I intended to intentionally notice each thing.
Each characteristic that makes this season so unique.
So coveted.
So loved.
 
Not only did I see Fall, I experienced Fall, I introduced Baker to Fall.
We have danced in the leaves.
We have donned scarves and jackets and padded our pockets with handwarmers for brisk evening walks.
We have made chicken and dumplings from scratch, and I am still finding flour in Baker's nooks and crannies.
We have sipped hot chocolate and nibbled candy corn.
Fall fell here in our sweet home, Alabama,
and we have loved every minute.
 

2 comments:

  1. I found your blog this morning...from another blog that I follow. I read the story of your baby's birth and WOW it took me back. I, too, have a son with Down Syndrome. He is 27 years old...the oldest of our 4 kids, so...yeah...I'm old, too. :)

    I have a family blog where I try to record some of our life with Joshua...and our other children. You're welcome to read it. You know...in your spare time! Ha! http://martysmoosetracks.blogspot.com/2013/08/cinderella-complex.html

    I just wanted to say that I LOVE your attitude and agree with it so much! And I hope you will feel encouraged today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad you took the time to comment and share your blog. I look forward to reading about your family. I always enjoy meeting new friends!

      Delete