Tuesday, February 11, 2014

A Snow Day in the Life

I have a love/hate relationship with this winter weather right now, but there's nothing not to love about a day at home with my Baker Boy!


There is no snow or ice for me or my people, so we are all smiles over here!

I have vowed not to rearrange any shelves or unpack any boxes, just spend this day loving life with my now 21 month old.

We started the day with a little self feeding.
This is a wildly important skill for children with Down Syndrome, but one I don't typically excel at implementing on school mornings.
Because, SANITY AND SLEEP!

But today, with a bath in his near future and nowhere to be but right here, he got to practice (and make one heck of a mess) today.

 
And sometimes you say sayonara to the spoon and just go in for the kill!


 
I am so stinking proud of this little one I could shout it from the rooftops!

 
 Baker had oatmeal and yogurt in nooks and crannies I didn't even know he had.
After a very thorough scrubbing, I cleaned up the kitchen while he was playing.
I noticed it got very quiet. I immediately checked the bathroom, where, surprisingly, the toilet paper roll was still intact.
Score one for the home team! 
Then, I peeked in his room, and found this.
My teacher mom heart could burst right out of my chest.
 

 
After getting all mushy, gushy finding my boy reading, I realized I hadn't eaten.
I threw some spinach leaves, a banana, an apple, and a splash of Almond Milk in the blender, and voila!
Breakfast! 
 
 
While Baker napped, and boy did he nap, I got supper ready, worked on Valentines for his class, and made some yummy treats. I am clearly not a food blogger, so please forgive the subpar pictures. The taste more than makes up for poorly appropriated lighting and ill angles.
 
Crock Pot Chicken and Dumplings were the perfect choice for this cold day.
 
 
For Baker's valentines, we are doing smores!
I found these on Pinterest a few weeks ago, and loved the idea!
I altered it slightly to make it more age appropriate and love how they turned out.
 
Adorable Teacher Valentines Day gifts! Mason jars filled with s'mores snack mix. Free printables! #masonjars #smores #valentines #valentinesday
 
 
I have just finished a second Advocare 24 Day Challenge with no cheats,
so it was high time to treat myself!
Plus I have a super cute new cookie jar practically begging to be filled with yummy goodness.
 
I started with Pepperidge Farm's Lexington cookies (which Publix has BOGO this week).
Then I dipped them in melted Almond Bark and topped with Heath toffee bits.
 
I realize that's not exactly baking, but these are too good for a little terminology technicality.
 
A toffee and almond cookie coated with almond bark and more toffee,
Hello My Love.
 

 
 
About 4:00, these were the perfect date for my too sweet, too creamy, just right coffee.
 
After Sleepy woke up from his long winter's nap, we ate lunch.
Pink mashed potatoes and carrots for him.
It is the week of Valentine's Day, and all.
Caesar salad for me.
 
Then, we braved the cold to surprise Brian with his favorite coffee.
 
 
Baker does not have shorts on, but he did grow like 3 inches during the day today.
I'm not kidding.
This really happened.
Must be a 21 month growth spurt.
I'm hiring someone to come clean out his closet for me.
I hate packing up clothes that no longer fit.
I just can't take it. 

 
We got back home, put the finishing touches on supper, did some serious playing, and waited on Brian to come home. 
 
See, three inches!
This happened in one day's time.
Honest.
 

 
Dads are the coolest.
And apparently, so are old television boxes.
Please stop me before I buy birthday or Christmas presents next year.

 
Our faux snow day wore my little slap out.
 
 
Me too.
 
A Day in the Life posts are some of my favorites.
I get so wrapped up in the hustle and bustle of every day, that I forget to cherish the small things.
I worry about laundry and getting supper on the table.
I worry about meetings and deadlines. But, this year, I am promising to be more intentional, and documenting the every day helps me remember that everyday is a special day.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. This post just made me smile. :) We've got another snow day here in the Atlanta area. I had plans to update the pictures on digital picture frame. Maybe I'll do that later and go spend some time with my 18yo daughter with moderate cerebral palsy instead. Thanks for the gentle reminder.

    ReplyDelete